Temporary Ministry Support Coordinator
Mission Statement – First Lutheran Church, rooted in the Gospel of God’s grace, is a welcoming community of worship, witness, spiritual growth and ecumenical service to God and God’s people.
Position Overview – This is a three-month position beginning approximately August 1-7 to fill-in for the regular employee who will be on parental leave.
The ministry support coordinator manages the church office and collaborates with program staff to support and grow the ministries of First Lutheran Church. This position requires a motivated self-starter who can coordinate contributions from the ministry team, volunteers and members of the congregation; can manage details and deadlines while keeping an eye on opportunities to make strategic connections; and is committed to the mission of First Lutheran Church.
The Ministry Support Coordinator position requires communication and hospitality skills via phone, print and electronic media. Candidates should demonstrate willingness to learn additional systems and platforms that may not be familiar.
- Office Management: Welcome and assist office visitors. Oversee office systems and equipment. Order office and congregational supplies. Manage licensing and compliance paperwork. Schedule rooms and meetings. Coordinate office volunteers.
- Communication Production: Produce bulletins, weekly print and electronic newsletters, quarterly print newsletter, and other congregational publications and mailings. Schedule and post church social media messages and graphics. Manage FLC digital signage.
- Livestream Support: Create weekly slide graphics, schedule and publish livestreams (weekly & special services), and coordinate details with FLC’s stream team. Upload weekly worship services to Decorah Public Library for weekly MediaCom public access broadcast.
- Information Management: Maintain the church member database, mailing lists and church calendar. Serve as the information hub for congregation and community. Respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and requests during church office hours.
- Website Management: Oversee user accounts, create and update web content as needed.
- Ministry Support: Works collaboratively with FLC staff; facilitates staff communication; provides needed staff support for programming and events; assists with volunteer coordination. Manage bereavement, 80+, and youth card ministries.
- High school diploma or equivalent (college preferred) – minimum of three years working in an office environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including grammar, spelling, and proofreading
- Very good computer and clerical skills, including experience with word processing, publishing, and database management
- Experience using social media platforms for business purposes
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment with employees and volunteers
Supervision and Support
The ministry support coordinator is supervised by the senior pastor. The communications tasks are directed and coordinated with the associate pastor.
Classification and Compensation
This is a temporary, exempt position and is not eligible for other benefits. Up to four unplanned absences may be taken for illness or other matters for which substitutes will be paid by the congregation. The wage is $20 per hour for 32 hours a week. The current ministry support coordinator works 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM with a one-hour lunch break, Monday through Thursday. The temporary coordinator may request other work hours and days of work in the office.